Who better to guide you when making a Best Man / Wedding speech than Lynn Ferguson! Lynn has many years of stand-up comedy under her belt. She wrote jokes for The Late Late Show and consulted on Pixar's Brave.. She's also been Best "Man" at many weddings of course! She co-founded YouTellYours to help everyone to tell their stories authentically.
Most people don’t make speeches and then when they do, it’s on this massively important occasion. For many people doing a best man/woman speech, this may be the first speech they’ve ever done. But even people who talk for a living can find wedding speeches daunting because the stakes are high.
It's a once in a lifetime occasion. A load of planning has gone into this day and the people you care most about are depending on you!
It's also tricky because everybody seems to have a different idea of what the Best Man's speech has to be.
It has to be funny enough.
It has to be a little bit emotional.
It can’t be too rude!
And there are a whole host of things you must not mention... and a whole host of things you must cover.
And whilst you’re remembering all the things you must and must not say.. and trying to be funny enough, emotional enough and respectful enough.. you also have to sound natural.
OK, so that’s where this course can help. This course is a series of lessons designed to help you craft the perfect wedding speech to suit you. Think of it as a kind of made to measure suit.
Aside from that, all that's needed is you. A best man speech is both an honor and a wonderful experience. So let's construct that speech for you. One that is funny enough, emotional enough and respectful enough.. and all delivered so that you also sound completely natural and authentic.
What are the requirements?
- You will need some means of recording yourself. This can be audio or video via your phone, tablet, computer, camera or old style dictaphone!
What am I going to get from this course?
- Show your individuality - this is why you were asked to speak!
- Appear less nervous and so relax your audience
- Structure a great wedding speech - we focus on the Best Man's speech but the content is universal.
- Delight your audience and the newlyweds
What is the target audience?
- If you've been asked to speak at a wedding then this course is for you.
- Even if you're a professional speaker or standup comedian, it's unlikely that you're often speaking at weddings. Wedding speeches contain elements of admin, intimacy, comedy, and storytelling in an important public family event. So there's very little in our day to day lives that will completely prepare us for this type of performance.
Lynn Ferguson is an award winning writer-performer and a recognized force in the world of comedy.
As a regular storyteller for The Moth, she can frequently be heard on their weekly show broadcast on 200+ affiliate radio stations throughout the country. She often hosts The Moth’s live mainstage events at venues such as Club Nokia (LA), The Egg (Albany), or the State Theatre (Portland Maine), as well as small prestigious events such as the World Science Festival at the Players Theatre in New York and fundraising for Bono’s World Aids charity, (RED).
In the UK, aside from being the voice of a plasticine chicken in the Movie Chicken Run, Lynn appeared regularly on TV and BBC Radio 4, writing and starring in three series of her own sitcom as well as creating several critically acclaimed afternoon plays.
She has performed in numerous Edinburgh Fringe Festivals where she garnered multiple award nominations, winning the prestigious Fringe First Award for writing and the Stage Award for Acting Excellence.
Since relocating to the US in 2008, Lynn worked as a staff writer for the CBS Peabody Award winning Late Late Show and as a script consultant for Pixar on the Academy Award Winning movieBrave. Recently, she was invited to join the judging panel for the International Emmys and to host theirComedy Panel in New York.
Why Lynn teaches storytelling: